Friday 9 January 2009

Happy New Year!

"Did you have a good Christmas?"

That's usually the first question you may be asked upon your return to work (unless you were a staunch Jehovah's Witness or druid). Although I've had this question posed to me as early as Boxing Day. Christmas Day isn't even cold in its grave and already people believe it's the cut-off date for Christmas itself!

Not on your Nelly.

My usual response is "Yes, I'm having a good Christmas, thanks". Which is often met with a frown or something of a similar ilk.

As a child, Christmas was always a major event – and the magic of Christmas hasn't faded for me over the years. Some people may thank God it's 'all over' at the stroke of midnight on Christmas Day, but certainly not in my case. Having spent over a month (and several pounds) preparing for the big day, I like to see Christmas through to its natural conclusion.

There are of course 12 days of Christmas (if the song is to be believed) so for me the celebrations expire on the 5th of January. That's when the tree comes down and the decs and faulty fairy lights are returned to the loft for eleven months...

Today (9th Jan) someone wished me a happy new year. Which got me thinking that there's still a handful of people I've yet to pass new year greetings to. But when is the cut-off date for wishing people a happy new year? Is mid-January too late? or is it still permissible to do so in early February??

I'd just like to wish you all a Happy and Healthy 2009. May it warm your cockles and bless you with untold riches... and maybe even that new car you've been thinking about...

No comments:

Post a Comment